How to get help

how to get help

The Texas Health and Human Services 2-1-1 help line can refer you to local assistance organizations: or call 2-1-1

For information on federal utility assistance providers:

To file a complaint about your electricity provider: or call 1-888-782-8477

According to consumer advocacy organization Texas ROSE, the best way to prevent disconnection of your electricity is to stay in contact with your electric provider when you have trouble making payments and request a deferred payment arrangement you can afford.